Tournament registration is now closed.
It’s time for the Tournament of Courage!
Show your martial arts spirit and skill and join us on Saturday, February 11th, 2023 for some friendly competition! Open to students from white to black belt, tiny tigers to adult. Competitors will be awarded first, second and third place medals in their categories and have the opportunity to win the Grand Champion trophy for their division.
Tournament location: 2445 Fenton St, Chula Vista
8:00 am – Doors Open
8:15 am – Judges/Scorekeeper/Timekeeper Meeting
8:45 am – Opening Ceremonies
9:00 am – Creativity/ Team Forms
9:30 am – Jump Front Kick Competition
10:00 am – Tiny Tigers age 3-6 Forms and Sparring Competition
10:30 am – Black Belt Forms, Weapons, Sparring Competition- Youth-Adult
11:00 am- Youth Colored Belt Forms, Weapons, Sparring Competition- age 7+
1:00 pm – Adult Colored Belt Forms, Weapons & Sparring Competition- age 17+
2:30 pm – Closing Remarks
Tournament of Courage Grand Champion Trophies and Rules
Grand Champion Trophies:
Tiny Tiger Male 3-4 years old
Tiny Tiger Female 3-4 years old
Tiny Tiger Female 5-6 years old
Tiny Tiger Male 5-6 years old
Youth Colored Belt Beginner (0-11 months training) Female Age 7-12
Youth Colored Belt Beginner (0-11 months training) Male Age 7-12
Youth Colored Belt Intermediate-Advanced (12 months+ training) Female Age 7-12
Youth Colored Belt Intermediate-Advanced (12 months+ training) Male Age 7-12
Teen Colored Belt Beginner (0-11 months training) Female Age 13-16
Teen Colored Belt Beginner (0-11 months training) Male Age 13-16
Teen Colored Belt Intermediate-Advanced (12 months+ training) Female Age 13-16
Teen Colored Belt Intermediate-Advanced (12 months+ training) Male Age 13-16
Adult Colored Belt Beginner (0-11 months training) Female Age 17+
Adult Colored Belt Beginner (0-11 months training) Male Age 17+
Adult Colored Belt Intermediate-Advanced (12 months+ training) Female Age 17+
Adult Colored Belt Intermediate-Advanced (12 months+ training) Male Age 17+
Youth Male Black Belt Age 7-12
Youth Female Black Belt Age 7-12
Teen Male Black Belt Age 13-16
Teen Female Black Belt Age 13-16
Adult Female Black Belt Age 17+
Adult Male Black Belt Age 17+
To increase your chances for Grand Champion Trophies, participate in all events available for your rank.
- Tiny Tigers: Forms, Sparring
- Youth/Teen/Adult Colored Belts Beginner: Forms, Sparring
- Youth/Teen/Adult Colored Belts Intermediate-Advanced: Forms, Weapons, Sparring
- Black Belts: Forms, Weapons, Sparring
Jump Front Kick Contest: Certificate for 1st place
Certificate given for highest jump will be awarded to Tiny Tigers 3-6, Youth 7-12, and Adult 13+
Creativity/Team Forms: Certificate for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
- Teams of 2 or more performing a form or creative routine, option to use music.
- Judging criteria will be based on the level of difficulty of form, formation, level of synchronization and overall performance of the form.
- Routine must be under 3 minutes
Divisions and Judging
Forms- Open Hand and Weapons
- Scoring is based on a scale of 5-10. 5 is very poor, 6 is below average, 7 average, 8 good, 9 excellent, 10 is perfect.
- Please judge based on the following criteria:
Speed and coordination
Degree of difficulty of form
- If a student makes a mistake and has to restart, points will be deducted based on rank. For colored belts .2 to .6 of a point may be deducted depending on rank and severity of mistake. For black belts deduct .5 to 1.0. Only two restarts are allowed, after that the student will automatically receive a score of 5 for not completing their form.
- If there are 5 judges the highest and lowest score will be dropped from the overall score total. If there are 3 judges, all scores will be included.
- In the case of a tie with 5 judges, the highest and lowest scores will be added back in. In the case of 3 judges, the two students with tied scores will repeat their form.
Flag Sparring- Tiny Tiger Age 3-6
*Competitors aged 6 who are participating in point sparring will be placed in a youth division, not Tiny Tigers.
Tiny Tigers will do flag sparring. Each competitor will have 4 flags in his or her belt, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The first person to pull out all of the flags of their opponent wins the match. If time runs out, the student who pulled the most number of flags out of their opponent’s belt wins. Match is continuous, do not stop the match each time a flag is pulled. All matches are 2 minutes.
Point Sparring- Youth and Above
Light contact is allowed to the body and light contact to the head where the helmet is covering. Legal strikes include straight punches and kicks to the body, and kicks to the head. Controlled backfists and ridgehands are allowed to the side of the head where the helmet is covering. 2 minutes per match, the first person to score 3 points wins or the person with the highest score when time runs out.
5 points for black belt matches or the person with the highest number of points at the end of specified time. Black Belts may receive 2 points for clean and controlled kicks to the head at the center judge’s discretion. 3 minutes per match.